Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I like coffee, she likes tea


My Mom is the best. The End.

Well not quite the end. She is staying with us for a year to take care of my daughter while my husband and I work. How great is that?! There is no way to thank her for all that she has done (unless I win the lottery and break her off a few million dollars ). So I try to do little things here and there for her. My mother is a HUGE fan of iced tea (growing up in south will do that to a person). She is also a fan of saving the planet and likes to reuse the plastic coffee cups that I get from 7-eleven or Starbucks. That sparked the idea for this project.


DIY TIME!

I'm going to make her an iced tea glass. Here is what you will need:

-Old spaghetti jar or mason jar
-Drill
-Spray Paint
-Tape
-Stencil
-Paint marker (that draws on glass)

Cost: Between $5 and $10 dollars (depending on what kind of paint pen you buy)

Step 1.
Clean the jar thoroughly. Get all the goo off from the label so that you have a nice clean surface to work with. Tip: If you don't have goo gone then just use some anti bacterial hand gel. Just squirt it on the jar and rub it in a circular motion. Or if the label is still attached to the  jar submerse it into boiling water and let it sit. After a while the label, along withe the adhesive, will come right off.




Step 2.
Take your stencil and tape it where you would like inside of the jar. I decided to go with my own design. But if you aren't that confident in your writing or design skills then are pre-made stencils available online.



Step 3.
Once you have placed your stencil where you want it, trace over it with you paint pen on the outside of your glass.



Step 4.

Now as we let the paint dry on our glass, lets get out the drill. So first things first, SAFETY!  Mark off where you would like the hole. Make sure your drill bit is secure and you have enough room to work. Keep your fingers clear of the drill at all times! (If you have a piece of wood to set the cap on it will provide you with a steady work surface.)



Step 5.

I ran a piece of steel wool around the hole just to make sure it wasn't to jagged. Wash the cap and let it dry. Note: There were some pieces of the lid still attached were I drilled. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and worked it back and forth until those small pieces fell off.

No drilling picture because it was too cold outside.  My bad.

Step 6.

Once the cap is dry spray paint whatever color you would like, I'm using black. Make sure the outside is evenly coated. DO NOT COAT THE INSIDE WITH SPRAY PAINT!! Let dry for a few hours (I'm paranoid about paint and like to be on the safe side).



I did NOT spray paint this on my dining table. I used a small cardboard box and sprayed it in there. 

Step 7.


Screw the lid back on the jar and you are done! Just fill with ice and tea , then sit back and enjoy :)


 

I LOVE YOU MOMMY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment