Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How not to pay an ass load of money for Mid Century Modern

You go on Craig's List and hit up yard sales. Well that is the simplified answer. In truth if you live on the east coast people slap a "mid century" description on a piece of furniture and suddenly the price jumps up $200. Since we are on a budget I try to keep things reasonable which means suppressing my need for all things mid century....unless it's a REALLY great deal. So you can imagine my excitement when my husband sent me a link to this beauty:image

image

$25 for this glorious lamp!? Needless to say we picked it up that same day. If you are thinking to your self that there is a catch, then you are right. While the wicker is in pristine condition the lamp cord needs to be replaced. But all in all it was a spectacular find. I plan to re-wire this, but that's for another blog post. Then there was this painting:
image

image


At $40 dollars how can you pass this up? A good rule of thumb for me is if it's $100 or less it's coming home with me. If you have a price point don't be afraid to spend it. Even if you only pick of small things here or there, before you know it you have some great unique pieces. So see ladies and gentlemen mid century pieces can be found at more reasonable prices you just have to have patients (and a lot of free time at work helps). That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment